Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Final wrap up to leave the house

Well, as I'm waiting for files to copy from my flash drive (wonderful little devices, those) to the laptop, I thought I'd blog on our progress. The house is mostly cleaned and packed. The container left the morning of the 23rd, and that was a bit of a panic. Were it not for the help of some very good friends, we would have been up all night the night before (and we're too old for that sort of thing!). The 20 ft. x 8 ft. x 8 ft. container was nearly full, all the way to the top. Lots of stuff, and we'd pared down quite a bit! Some of the stuff we'd "pared down" was actually to be packed up and put into the attic. One disadvantage of retaining our house was the abundance of free attic storage. Translation: we've kept a lot of stuff we wouldn't have kept, I'm sure. But truly we have gotten rid of a lot of junk. And if and when we move back, I hope we can be even more discriminating. We still have more of the kitchen to pack up, and boxes and boxes of stuff to take to various agencies. I need to pop into the office to shred a few docs.

Thank goodness for Izzy, who has come almost every day to pack and make us keep moving. Today she packed and packed and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, which is a good thing since I can't seem to get another friend's cleaning lady to call me back. I am so looking forward to a few days at Izzy's house, when everything is done and we can kick back by her pool before the long flight across the pond. I'll be able to get some luxuries done, like a haircut, manicure, and pedicure. Aaaaaah. Maybe we'll even take in a movie (Hitchhiker's Guide, anyone?). For now I must finish copying files from my old PC to the laptop so we can give the old PC to our neighbor. Yet another delivery to make tomorrow...

No comments: